Friday, January 9, 2009

School Days

It seems like everyone is so shocked when I say "I have homework to do" or when I talk about school, so I thought that I would give a little update on here. Tony and I have been talking about me going back to school for years, and I finally decided to just do it. I went to the college and found out that I am only 4 classes away from my AGS degree. Sure, it isn't the degree that I would have hoped for, but I am nearly 30 and haven't been to school in 7 years, I figure I better do something and just get it done with.
So I started school at Everett Community College on January 5th. I am taking 3 classes online. Nutrition, Personal Finance, and Children's Literature. The Nutrition and Literature class are required and I am taking personal finance because I thought it would be easy, since I am a banker and all, but it seems to be the hardest of the three.
I am really enjoying the Literature class. I am only a week into it, and already it has brought back so many memories of books from when I was a child. It has also made me start a list of books that I want to get for Vinny. The list is growing quickly. I am doing a report on H.A. Reys and Curious George. Who would of thought that I could sit and read Curious George books and get college credit for it. :)
The other 2 classes aren't so fun, but I think that I will benefit a lot from both. I have already learned that my lifestyle needs to change in both the health and financial sides.
So until the end of March I am going to juggle being a full time student, a full time employee and boss, a full time wife and a full time mother. I am not sure how I am going to do it all, but I keep reminding myself that it is for only 2 months. Next quarter I will be able to take one simple class and then I will be able to graduate in June.
This is a big step for me. I can honestly say that I never thought that I would go back to school. I just thought that was a part of my past that I miss, but that I would never go back to. My degree won't help me at work, I am getting it for personal fulfillment. I hope that Vinny someday goes to college, and I will feel better expressing to him how important education is, if I at least have some of my own. I don't want him growing up knowing that I was a college drop out. Now I have to decide if I want to walk down that aisle with my cap in gown once June comes.
So if my bog is updated a little less, or my phone calls are a little less often, or cut shorter, or we don't see you much in the next two months, I hope you can understand why!!!
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support in all of this.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are finishing up! I finished my degree after Aidan was born. I'm still not using it at this point, but I'm so glad I have it. You will do great! It's a nice feeling of accomplishment when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on going back to school! I'm sure you will feel so great after you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your schooling! I am sure it will be hard, but what a great accomplishment when you graduate!

    ReplyDelete