Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Is this normal? updated with video

I am not sure how many of you have followed the development of Vinny, but for the most part, he is developing right along with what all of the charts say that he should be. His speech is a little behind, but he is able to get the point across and says quite a few words (see the chart on the right.) He just started counting (to 5) and can now jump and he is constantly running all over the place. We play hockey and he is able to hit the puck with the stick with ease.
The one thing that really amazes me that Vinny does though, is puzzles. He has 3 puzzles that he got for Christmas. One of them is all squares with letters, one is fruit, which has the picture on the background as well, and the other is of different toys. The toy one just has the cut outs and no pictures on the board. If I pick one of the pieces out of the bag Vinny can point out which puzzle it goes to and where it goes within seconds. Sometimes he finds them before I do. He doesn't hesitate at all, except for on the letter one, because all the pieces are the same shape. I just hold it up and he points to where it goes. He isn't the best at lining the pieces up yet, but he gets them in sometimes.
Since I was so impressed with this, I decided to have him try some puzzles online, as well. I thought that maybe he just memorized those ones very quickly. We went to these 2 games on SproutOnline.com and he was able to match them all up again. On the Bob the Builder one, he did all three levels without hesitation.

http://www.sproutonline.com/sprout/games/detail.aspx?id=8d9086d9-83a4-4895-9e33-997a0181a159

http://www.sproutonline.com/sprout/games/detail.aspx?id=1788d669-8484-4324-b6a8-997a0181a244

I am just wondering are other almost 2 year olds doing this as well? Or is this abnormal? Am I just naive in thinking that they don't have these kinds of skills yet?

Here is a video of him doing puzzles on Sunday night.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try these with Eli but he doesnt do well with regular puzzles. I always knew that Vinny was a smarty pants.

    ReplyDelete