Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dr Appt Update

Since I know that a lot of people will be asking, I figured that I would just write it all out here.
The biopsy came back with one of two things that it could be. Either Discoid Lupus or Hypersensitivity Disorder. He said that he is still leaning towards lupus, even though they had told me that it was drug induced lupus before, and I am no longer on that medication. He said that H.D. comes out when people are exposed to sun. Well, my rash has only come during the winter and cleared completely up in the summer.
At this point he would like to start treating me for lupus. Apparently there is some enzyme, that if you carry it, than you can't take the medication for lupus, so I am waiting for results back to see if I carry that enzyme. It doesn't sound very likely that I do. So I will probably start the medication in about a week. The positive thing is that the Discoid Lupus tends to be confined to the skin, so hopefully that is the case... I posted I will go back to the Dr in 3 months and see how the medication is working. Hopefully it will be helping and I can get this figured out once and for all!
As for my biopsy scar... it's icky. It is right on the top of my arm, and is red and yucky, but matches with my rash, so you don't notice it that much. Hopefully over time it with become hardly noticeable.

Thank you everyone who has stuck by me through all of this... your support is much appreciated!


Here is some info on Discoid Lupus:

Discoid lupus is a type of lupus that tends to be confined to the skin and other organs in the body are not involved. Discoid lupus occurs in patches across the body. These patches tend to be well defined, thickened and scaly, they are slightly red in colour and can itch. The appearance can vary between people and also on different areas of the body on the same person. As the patches heal they tend to leave scars and on darker skins the pigment in the skin can be lost leaving white areas. If discoid lupus occurs on the scalp the hair will be lost as the patches heal leaving permanent bald areas.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it's nice to have some idea of what's going on. Hope the medication will make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this Melissa. I hope the meds work. My thoughts and prayers are with you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the meds wil work for you and that you can feel back to normal soon.

    as for the scar I am sure its nothing. next time you see me ask me to show you the one I have on my arm! its at least 7-8 inches long. it started out the same way you describe yours but over the years has faded and now unless you really are paying attention you dont see it. I am sure your will practically disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the medication takes care of it & you will be back to feeling good again!

    ReplyDelete