Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A season of giving.

Through work, I was introduced to this amazing service organization called the Lions Club. I had always heard of it, but never really knew much about it. After going to a few of their meetings, I decided to join. They do wonderful things for our community and help out in so many ways. Throught the Lions Club, I learned a lot about the need to volunteers and donations to our local food banks. I knew that there was a need, but didn't really realize how much of one. I recently started to volunteer at the Lake Stevens Community Food Bank.
When I saw that Vinny's school had a food drive, I was excited to be able to talk to him about it and get together some donations. Now Vinny has always been very generous. He always wants to put money in the moneyjars he sees and is always excited to drop stuff off at Goodwill or do donate to different things. We have talked to him quite a bit about how some people aren't as fortunate as we are and he seems to really understand and have compassion for the situation. When I told him about the food bank and the donations he was all excited to go shopping. We went through our cupboards at home and got a bag full of items. We headed to Walmart and I gave him a $10 and told him to go ahead and pick out what he wanted to donate. He picked out all of his favorites. Rice, spaghetti, corn bread, ramen, applesauce, and fruit cups as well as some other smaller items. He was so proud. I was so proud. It was a great experience for both of us. Not only did he do something to help others, but he practiced his math skills, as well!

He wanted me to take a picture to show his dad all the stuff he bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment