Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday....

I am not one of those that thinks TV is a bad thing for children, in fact, I think that Vinny has learned a lot, and will let him continue to watch it. I think that the Sprout channel (Yeah PBS!) has wonderful shows, and that Vinny learns quite a bit from Nina and Star and the good night show. She has picked up different signs, and dances, and does his stretches with Nina. He sometimes sings a long with them, and seems very intrigued. I often think that there are some shows that there is no way that he could understand the concept, like the Berenstain Bears, but for some reason he is so glued to them, I have a hard time tearing him away. I actually wonder if he is taking in while watching some of the lessons that they are teaching.

What shows do your kids watch that you think that they are actually learning from? Are there ones that you consider completely off limits?

2 comments:

  1. Acadia loves Curious George and Elmo (we have an Elmo movie). Besides that, she really doesn't watch tv. Although today, there was some show on after Curious George and they were singing about different shapes, and Acadia was repeating all the shapes.

    So, I would say as of now, she watches tv for "entertainment" as CG and Elmo don't seem to be teaching her anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys mostly just watch Noggin. I feel really good about them watching it. There are so many things that they have picked up from the shows on there (Aidan especially). I am definitely not expecting the TV to teach them everything they need to know, but it gives me a break every now and then and they are entertained but still learning.

    ReplyDelete